Idle No More on the West Coast – Photos & Video
On December 30th, in a small west coast town on Coast Salish territories called Powell River, in British Columbia, Canada, members of the Tla’Amin Nation and their allies held an #IdleNoMore demonstration in support of the growing movement internationally and to raise energy for Chief Theresa Spence during her hunger strike, which is now past it’s 22nd day. With a group of about seventy people, we gathered together and participated in the tradition of song and dance, and learned about some of the struggles the Tla’Amin nation has and continues to face, due to the colonization of Canada, and the consistent battle with the Canadian government to do the right thing. Live streamed footage available here.
What started with 4 women and a tweet, has turned into an international movement that has yet to show any signs of slowing down. Almost daily, in multiple cities spanning the globe, round dances, flash mobs and blockades have been sprouting up in support of indigenous rights, treaty agreements, and against bill C-45 (in Canada). Summary of Bill C-45 here.
For ongoing coverage of the Idle No More movement, follow @Org9, @IdleNoMore4, @ChiefTheresa and the #IdleNoMore hashtag on twitter. There are also multiple Facebook groups and event pages, enter Idle No More in the search bar.
For background information on the indigenous rights movement in Canada, the history behind Idle No More, and other related blogs and news articles here are some links to get started: (you can hover over the link and click it)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6jW0sa_SMQ&feature=youtu.be Vancouver, BC
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrFm_cbg7aM&sns=tw Hamilton, Ont
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG4bBu234ko Toronto, Ont
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVJeWRuSL8 Denver, CO
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy-Vp_DDgRw Minneapolis, Mall of America
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-FVs4xRhQ&feature=plcp Winnipeg
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swJIUGRJVEs&feature=youtu.be Saskatoon
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p56Y9vq-O4g London, Ont “The Indignants”